Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

GOTV at home

The other day I posted about the ideological debate I'm having with my Mother in Law. I later inadvertently deleted the post. Anyway, the gist of that post was that my mother in law, a devout christian in her 70s, surprised me by voicing her support of the Democrats and blaming all of our nations troubles on the Republicans. I was surprised since by any measure she's someone you'd expect to be a staunch conservative. But a peek at her background helps to explain the disparity.
She grew up in depression era West Virginia where her dad worked a coal mining concern. He later worked on some to the big TVA project. They were fairly poor and there was FDR coming on strong with the relief projects, so it's understandable that she grew up in a Dem leaning household.
What's more difficult to understand is the fact that she still reflexively supports the Dems in the face of all the evidence that they've become a very different party since the 30s. Mom in law is pro-life, for lower taxes, not thrilled about gay marriage, etc, etc, etc. Yet, she adamantly refuses to even consider the evidence.
This morning I told her that I was going to work on her for the next week about changing her party loyalty and she replied "I've been a Democrat all my life. My Momma and Daddy would roll over in their graves if I voted Republican". Goodness!
Last night I was with she and my Father in Law as they watched reports of the John Kerry blow up on ABC, and it seemed pretty obvious that they were pretty much accepting everything they were being told at face value. Ok, at one point while discussing these things with her she told me that I just hadn't been paying attention to what's been going on. And yet she's getting all of her information unfiltered from the MSM!
And there's no doubt that she'll vote come Tuesday. In Georgia a ballot cast for a Democrat is pretty much a wasted effort (as I well know from my years as a confused liberal voter), but I'm still a bit frustrated that I've not been able to break through her resistance with reason. And the whole issue underscores the danger of a media nearly unified in support of the left.

Comments:
Maybe you could invite Zell Miller over? He might be able to talk some sense into her. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?