Sunday, October 29, 2006

 

Local perspective on the Corker/Ford Senate bid

I live in Georgia just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee (Corker's last gig), and, while I'm obviously not voting in that race, being local to Chattanooga I'm experiencing the media blitz. Last night one entire commercial break was nothing but Corker and Ford ads. It's pretty intense.
So now we're hearing charges of subtle racism in a couple of Corker's ads and I wanted to weigh in with my take.
As anyone can see from my last post I'm an erstwhile liberal, so my credentials as a "typical southern white male republican" might be a little weak. But in any case I can tell you that until the MSM brought up charges of racism in that now infamous Corker ad it never once occurred to me that this was a white woman entreating a black man to "call me". The race of neither the actress or Ford ever were at issue. Didn't notice. Never.
In fact, and this is actually pretty surprising to me, I never really thought of Harold in terms of race from the outset. To me he was first and foremost a Democrat. His race never entered my mind while making my assessment of the guy. Honestly.
Sorry lefties, but the brand of racism you all depend on for rationalization and, in some cases, your very livelihoods doesn't actually exist in todays south - at least as I know it. There are, of course, isolated pockets of knuckle draggers, but they are very marginalized and insignificant. My experience has been one of racial harmony, in the main.
Anyway, back to the race. The Chattanooga Times Freepress ran about a page on each candidate this morning. There was no real bias that I could discern. At one point in the Ford piece, though, a woman described him as a "rock star". First Obama, now Ford? Oy!
The next next few days promise to be interesting.

Comments:
FM,
Just a thought, but do you think liberals are marginalizing themselves further by "crying wolf" at even the remotest signs of racism?
 
Yes, absolutely, edmcgon. All liberals are cheapening all of their various causes with this crying wolf behavior. I've long ago become jaded to cries of "racism", and if Al or Jesse are on the scene I shut down completely. Feminists have DANGEROUSLY compromised actual rape by likening it to everything from unwanted passes to bawdy language. It's maddening, and it's exactly the sort of illogic that pushed me to abdandon liberalism.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?